DAM Architectural Book Award
Der DAM Architectural Bookaward 2023 steht schon vor der Türe. Ab dem 1. Februar 2023 ist das Portal wieder geöffnet und Neuerscheinungen können eingereicht werden.DAM Architectural Book Award 2022
Deutsches Architekturmuseum (DAM) and the Frankfurter Buchmesse are this year again asking for entries to be submitted for the DAM Architectural Book Award 2022. All art and architectural book publishers worldwide are invited to do so. A varying jury comprising DAM internal jurors as well as external experts will judge the submissions according to design, concept, quality in terms of material and finishing, level of innovation and topicality.
Even in this era of growing competition through new media and communication methods books on architecture still remain the basic architectural medium. Identifying the best architectural books published in the current year by way of this competition and presenting them to architecture enthusiasts is thus a fundamental task of the DAM Architectural Book Award. As an honorary award it does not involve any award money. The prize winners are being presented at the Frankfurter Buchmesse.
The DAM Architectural Book Award was initiated in 2009 and ever since it has been met with increasing response. So this year’s DAM Architectural Book Award will consciously open up gain to an international range of participants.
DAM Architectural Book Award 2022 – the prize winners have been determined!
The best architectural books
The Frankfurt Book Fair and the Deutsches Architekturmuseum (DAM) are presenting the jointly initiated International DAM Architectural Book Award for the fourteenth time. The DAM would like to thank the Society of Friends of the DAM for its generous support of the prize.
The ten prize winners this year are:
- Living and Working / The MIT Press
- Momentum of Light / Lars Müller Publishers
- Swissness applied – Learning from new Glarus/ Park Books
- Urban Design in the 20th century – A history/ GTA Verlag
- Das Garagenmanifest/ Park Books
- The Polyhedrists – Art and Geometry in the long sixteenth century / The MIT Press
- Auf Linie. NS-Kunstpolitik in Wien. Die Reichskammer der Bildenden Künste/ Birkhäuser Verlag
- Barozzi Veiga/ Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther und Franz König
- Die Stadt für alle. Handbuch für angehende Stadtplanerinnen und Stadtplaner/ Karl Rauch Verlag GmbH & Co KG
- Renovation Antwerp city hall – From bel etage to illuminated floor / Public Space
The prize, unique in its kind and now highly respected, honours the best architecture books of a year. 101 architecture and art book publishers worldwide have responded to the joint call. A specialist jury of external experts and representatives of the DAM selected the ten best architecture books of the year from 264 entries according to criteria such as design, content concept, quality of materials and workmanship, degree of innovation and topicality.
The jury meeting took place on 13 September 2022 at the Deutsches Architekturmuseum (DAM). The winners will be announced at the hybrid award ceremony on 19 October 2022.
The external jury of experts this year included:
Brigida González (architectural photographer), Anna Kraus (graphic designer), Silvia Schellenberg-Thaut (architect), Danny Lettkemann (architect and executive board of the Freunde des DAM e.V.), Vladka Kupska (Frankfurter Buchmesse GmbH)
Internal jurors were: Oliver Elser (curator DAM), Annette Becker (curator DAM)
The wide range of topics and the high standard of the entries presented the jury with an enormous challenge. For this reason the jurors once again decided not only to pick ten prize winners, but also to select a further ten entries for the Shortlist of the DAM Architectural Book Award 2021.
- Duplex Architekten – Wohnungsbau Neu Denken / Park Books
- Celebrating public architecture – Buildings from the Open Call in Flanders 2000 – 21 / Jovis Verlag
- Bluebox Bochum 19 20 21 – Fachbereich Architektur / Hochschule Bochum
- Einfach bauen – ein Leitfaden / Birkhäuser Verlag
- The wood that makes your city / Park Books
- Back to the office – 50 revolutionary office buildings and how they sustained / NAI010 PUBLISHERS
- Alberto Kalach – Taller de Arquitectura / Arquine
- Reconstructing the Garrick. Adler & Sullivan’s lost Masterpiece / Alphawod Foundation
- Großwohnsiedlung. Ein Phämomen der Nachkriegszeit / Gebr. Mann Verlag Berlin
- Architektur der Aufklärung – Data Center als Politikmaschinen / Hatje Cantz Verlag
Exhibition of the award-winning books
October 19 – 23, 2022
Frankfurt Book Fair, Hall 3.1, Stand. J159
The DAM Architectural Bookaward 2023 is already just around the corner. From February 1, 2023, the portal will be open again and new publications can be submitted.